Sunday, July 17, 2011

Ways of Doing, Ways of Seeing: For Brother Christopher

I was unsure of what I was going to post today, until Brother Christopher's comment on my earlier post provided me with inspiration.
that's a delightful pastoral fantasy to which I call bullshit. All of the items of "personal gain" that you have pointed to a Neoshaman are also things that a tribal shaman would also need to produce for himself and his tribe, otherwise I don't think the tribal shaman would be tolerated and the tribe would displace him and look for something else to meet those needs
Obviously, I should have been more clear: I can definitely see where you might read my original post as you did.  Let me add a few points that I missed, as I suspect we agree more than disagree on most issues.

The lives of nomadic, hunter-gatherer or subsistence agriculture societies are anything but delightful and idyllic. They do not live in a happy world where cherubic animals perform Busby Berkley routines and dispense homespun wisdom. They recognize their surroundings as animate and sentient, yes - but they are also well aware that those surroundings can turn on them with little notice.   In their capacity as intercessors and messengers, they deal with enemies as often as friends, and the stakes are frequently life and death for shaman and tribe alike.  And of course shamans can be held accountable for bad things that   happen to the tribe, including things which would seem to us to be far beyond their control.

Nor is there any particular distinction in virtue between the Priest and the Shaman. Both offices give their holders power, and with power comes temptation. So long as we are competitive pack primates, we will scramble for social position and use that position to our personal advantage.  Devout and sincere worshippers can be found among Shamans and Priests alike. So too can cynical schemers, power-tripping abusers, and combinations of the above in every shade of human ambivalence.  No spiritual practice has yet attained a monopoly on good or evil.

The distinctions between Shaman and Priest, or between Shaman and Neoshaman, are useful abstractions.  They are not Platonic ideals, nor are they written in stone.  My thoughts here are intended as springboards for further discussion, not final answers.  I'm trying to do here what Martin Heidegger did with Dasein, or Being. I am less interested in what and why they are doing than in how and what they are seeing. How do they perceive the world in which they were thrown, and how does that perception and that world differ from our own?  I want to move closer toward their state of Being - not the altered state which comes from their ceremonies but the framework which inspires and constrains their actions and upon which they organize their existence.

This is, of course, a voyage toward an unreachable end.  Many divides separate me and a Siberian shaman, Diné Medicine Man, Tibetan Buddhist Priest, or Artibonné Vodouisant. We have available more data than ever before  on these peoples and their practices, and yet we are further than ever from the worlds they live in. Language, economic status, culture, life experience all mark us as products of different worlds. Our attempts at understanding have often been marred by all the excesses of colonialism and missionary hostility. Many explorers who have avoided these pitfalls have often fallen instead into the slough of starry-eyed anthropomorphism and romanticism. This is no easy task: we will only be able to draw our map in broad strokes and await the corrections of those who come after us.  Yet this knowledge is vital if we are to understand their ways and access their much-needed power for healing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I get a post directed at me as a reply? Yay!

It is as you have indicated, there are differences between a priest and a shaman, between westernized american living in comfort and luxury (even our poorest people) compared to an member living in a tribal organization in virtually any other country in the world. Their needs are different, their values are different and thier perception of the world is different. But that doesn't necessarily make a neoshaman less real and effective at doing what that neoshaman needs to do, provide for his tribe and community if the is the neoshamans sincere desire and action vs a tribal spirit-worker who is doing what needs to be done for her community. I think the problem emerges when the neoshaman, coming from the ingrained attitude of colonial imperialism, starts calling themselves the names of spirit-workers from other cultures and assuming thier titles and pretending to the knowlesge and culture, without really understanding, living or participating in it. I think that is where the problem seems to come from, the values of the neoshaman who does that comes into question.

Kenaz Filan said...

Another good point. I am not saying that the Neoshamanic experience is better or worse than the Shamanic experience; neither am I saying that either is more powerful, more effective, or more real than the other.

What I am saying is that their view of the world is qualitatively different. A major part of that difference, IMO, stems from an animist v materialist world view. As civilization grows, so too do the lines between animate and inanimate and between man and beast.

It is neither possible nor practical to recreate the hunter-gatherer/nomadic world of the earliest shamans. Estimates of Britain's population during the pre-agricultural Neolithic era suggest the island supported about 50,000 people - about the population of Ayr or Lancaster today. Returning to that utopia (which, if contemporary nomadic life is any indication, wasn't utopian at all) would require a die-off like we haven't seen since the last genetic bottleneck.

What we might be able to do is get a clearer idea of how these early shamans saw the world and what these practices meant to them. With that knowledge, we will be able to better understand our distant ancestors and better apply their wisdom to our present condition.

Unknown said...

"What we might be able to do is get a clearer idea of how these early shamans saw the world and what these practices meant to them. With that knowledge, we will be able to better understand our distant ancestors and better apply their wisdom to our present condition. "

Yes, exactly.

"A major part of that difference, IMO, stems from an animist v materialist world view."

I also definitely agree with you there. In a certain sense I was lucky, because of the way I was raised up there was a rejection of materialistic philosophy by my parents and thier church, which emphasized Spirit and spirituality over materialism and materiality, which was often very different and hard for people outside of my family to understand. Coming into seeing this from the more spirit oriented view point is not as far a leap for me as it is for other people I know, and constantly being surrounded and fed the materialist view by the surrounding culture was a difficult thing.
But, I think having the animist view point and operating from it would totally change how a neoshaman would function, as they engage in a greater spiritual participation with their surrounding environment.
To me, I wonder why aren't the neoshamans talking about the animals that live in urban/suburban areas instead of focusing on exotic animals that live in environments far removed from the one they live and operate in. I see animal life in my city every day, and its not just pets. And what about the spirits of the buildings, and the city, and the neighborhood, and the dead people who wander the spiritual landscape of the city, and really I could just go on and on. There is a whole aspect of spirits that seem to be rejected because it doesn't engage the whole "escape to nature" ethic that seems more popular.

Anonymous said...

I think one of the problems is that so many Neoshamans are coming directly into the practice via workshops and books, from an otherwise fairly mainstream Western consumerist culture perspective, whereas traditional shamans emerge in cultures already saturated with animism, polytheism, and a worldview that is integrated with nature and the spiritworlds. I think a broader devotional practice and recognition of the spirits all around us is absolutely essential *before* one begins to even think about shamanizing. Frankly, it's pretty confusing to me how anyone could even think they were practicing shamanism without that.

Brother Christopher: I highly agree with you about urban/suburban animal life. My primary interactions with animals and animal spirits focus on those I actually see around me: raccoons, possums, deer, crows, sparrows, squirrels - as well as a few I know are nearby although rarely seen (bears, cougars, etc.). I don't have much of a connection with animals totally outside my area, nor do I need one. And yes, the cities are veritably filled with spirits of one kind or another!

Post a Comment